What is a Certificate of Destruction?
Contact Us for Your Free Quote!
Newsletter Sign Up
Get the latest industry tips and offers.
There will be no gown, no pomp and circumstance, no tassels moved to the left or caps thrown into the air. For the quiet introverts, this might be a dream come true. For those who are always looking for a reason to (quietly) party, receiving of a Certificate of Destruction just might be the right excuse for a celebration.
So, What is a Certificate of Destruction?
Even though a Certificate of Destruction is a formal document, there is no exam required, so there is no need to sweat! A Certificate of Destruction will be provided to your company by a reputable shredding service as proof that your paper documents, hard drives, and other media have been destroyed in compliance with the following regulations:
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- The Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA)
- The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA)
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- All other federal and state laws that govern the mandated process of disposing of Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
What Does the Certificate Contain?
A Certificate of Destruction document includes all the important details regarding your shredding service, including:
- Business served and service provider name and address
- Dates and times of service
- Method of destruction
- Identification of items collected and destroyed
- Legal statement indicating the destruction was performed
What Makes the Certificate So Important?
A certificate is more than just a written acknowledgement. The Certificate provides:
- Peace of mind.
- Protection for your clients, staff, business and you.
- Proof that your information is no longer at risk.
- Written proof that your business is compliant with all relevant privacy laws. This is vital should an audit of your records be required.
Similar to a graduation, a reputable media destruction company will immediately present a Certificate of Destruction to you when the work is complete. This is a standard and professional practice, and should always be available to you as a shredding customer.
CI Information Management is a NAID AAA Certified shredding company that meets the highest industry standards. We can provide a Certificate of Destruction upon completing any shredding service. If you are a business or resident of Southeastern and Central Washington and Northeastern Oregon and would like to set up scheduled or one-time shredding service, simply call us at 509-586-6090 or complete the form on this page. We look forward to serving you!